Friday, September 2, 2011

bike check

it's been one fast august. too fast for some, just fine for those of us looking to pain cave that is fall cyclocross season.

work has been continuously hectic, but that's a no-brainer. take when the taking is good. Chessa's trip to the cabin in West Yellowstone helped her hone some skills on the new Brodie, while I spent a lot of time with the dogs. we finally did it right with a few Mighty CX Thursday rides from the 4th Ave shop before our beloved teammate and pro mechanic Meshkat left to greater things in Kelowna. and finally, the crush to prepare for this:

Langley Cross Classic


the first BC race of the season. I've had a hand in prepping the course on more than one occasion and Basse from Mighty Riders is a tirelessly evil course designer. the run up, the gravel, the flats over farmland, the switchbacks in the trees, the whole thing is designed to kill. and as the first race of the season, I think it easily wins for most taxing. better time than any to get the new tubs rolling.

in the interest of boasting about one's tools, I think the Guru is going to be one of the sickest machines in BC Cyclocross this year (at least Cat 3). I'm not sure I deserve to race something so amazing. to ensure I live up to the bike's obvious standards, I will be big ring racing the whole of this season. and to further the bicycle's own obvious ego, a gear check is in order:



Guru Cycles Sidero CX (so light, real steel)
Shimano 7800 Dura-Ace shifters, rear derailleur, Ultegra front derailleur (hot)
Ritchey Logic WCS Carbon Cross fork (best design on the market)
RaceFace NEXT sl carbon handlebars, setback seat-post (best seat-post, ever)
RaceFace Cadence cranks, bottom bracket
Crank Bros Egg Beater 3 (2009 version)
Fizik Arione CX (good for my bum)
Spooky Cyclocross Carbon Brakes
FSA RD-488 carbon tubular wheels (for traversing space time)
Tufo Flexus Primus 32mm tubular tires (for gripping, crushing)

And lets not forget footwear this year - my Sidi Dominators finally passed away after 3 long years of unkindness from commuting, racing and general wandering. They are now replaced with THESE SICK PUPPIES: Sidi Spiders - my favorite aspect being the replaceable tread. The kind folks of On The Rivet got me into a pair of them just in time for the season.

OK, enough flattering pictures and shiny links. it's time to drink beer and get mentally prepared for the weekend. Oh, and make sure my heart rate monitor is ready to go to 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment